August has been so thoroughly exhausting. It’s been fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but I kind of want to lie horizontally for hours on end at the end of each day. This is clearly the effect of working full-time for the first time ever, in Summer. Work is absolutely fantastic, but the adjustment still needs… adjusting.
On to some favourites of the month!
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart – This book had sooooo much hype around it, and I had to know what it was all about. The story is beautifully written, and I’m really glad to have read it. It’s the sort of book that’s quite one-of-a-kind, and I’ve been thinking back on it for days since finishing it. However, it wasn’t AS AMAZING as some people made it out to be.
- Maybelline Baby Lips lip balm in Cherry Me – This lip balm has been lovely this month. It gives me a great amount of colour and hydration, and doesn’t need to be applied meticulously in front of a mirror (I usually slap it on while riding in the mirror-less car-park lift before getting to work).
- Haagen Dazs Pralines & Cream ice-cream – AKA deliciousness in a little pot. I’m not even a huge ice-cream lover, but the massive chunks of cake-like goodness in Haagen Dazs ice-cream is too heavenly to pass up on.
- #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso – I’m only halfway through this book, but I’m absolutely loving it. The best thing about it is that my life has been so totally different to Ms Amoruso’s, and I love being exposed to different experiences. And wow, is she successful. #respect
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs – I finished this early in August, and found it to be such a melancholic book. I really enjoyed it, but don’t think I’m excited enough to read the next book. Some parts were a little slow, and I found myself wanting to skim through the paragraphs. Some of the “peculiar” parts were a little too much for me too, so this was mainly just not my type of book. Still a great read though, and the story was beautifully crafted.
Some other favourites:
- Proofreading a bunch of wonderful theses
- Ralph, the office fish
- Swimming in the sea
- Getting an A in my Doctor of Laws thesis!
- Re-homing beautiful dresses
- Compiling a bunch of medlies
- Finally, officially, becoming a Notary Public (even though this has turned out to be one of the hardest things to achieve ever, while simultaneously being one of the most short-lived things ever… at least for now.)
- My two best friends, who are the brightest beacons in my life
- My boyfriend, who is wonderful
- Making a HUUUUUUGE decision in August. I’m terrified but terribly excited.
- A few awesome barbecues
- An awesome LUSH mask
- Capistrano (a restaurant on Old Bakery Street in Valletta)
- Watching Glee with my friend Annie
- Making lemon linguine – mmmm
- The ALS Ice-Bucket Challenge – it’s rather silly, but I did it and it was great that I was prompted to donate some money to charity on a regular Monday evening
- Baking the most delicious gluten/wheat/cow’s milk-free carrot/pineapple/pecan/walnut/heaven cake for my friend Anna
Hope everyone had a splendid August, even though it’s been unbearably hot. Here’s to a cooler (and calmer) September!