I visited Florence last December, and as a total gastro-tourist, I have a few recommendations, if you’re popping over any time soon. This is obviously a (hugely) non-exhaustive list, but any one of these would be a special experience, and come highly recommended.
1. Trattoria Mario (via Rosina) GO HERE. DON’T GO ANYWHERE ELSE IF YOU MUST, BUT GO HERE. It’s a bit crazy and you can’t book and it only opens for lunch and it only takes cash and you’ll probably be seated with other people on the same tiny table, BUT it’s delicious and relatively cheap and all the food is amazing. My suggestions are the Bistecca Fiorentina, the chips as a side (they look strange but they are SO GOOD), some of their house red Chianti wine for drinking, and some vin santo and cantuccini for dessert. PERFECTION.
2. Osteria Cipolla Rossa (via dei Conti) A little on the expensive side, but lovely service and fantastic food.
3. Trattoria 13 Gobbi (via del Porcellana) A little (more) on the expensive side, but ALL SO AMAZING. The wine, the food, the desserts, the service. Food suggestions: the cheesecake for dessert (madoff amazing), and the macaroni in cheesy tomatoey sauce that they give you in a bowl, mmmm. If you’ve already been to Trattoria Mario and want to try just one more place on this list, go here.
4. Trattoria Nerone (via Faenza) Really great pizza (the Margherita is really great – and only 5EUR – ask them to put a leaf of basil on it as a final flourish because it makes it even better). Overall this place had great food and really good prices. We even visited here twice because of the amazing pizza. Also: great chocolate tart for dessert.
5. Trattoria Enzo e Piero (via Faenza) Not the best service when we went, but the food was really, really good. I had the Pappa al pomodoro, and it started a love affair that will probably last a lifetime.
Bar Bonus: Mostodolce on via Nazionale is an exceptionally cool bar, and has some great beers.
Extra bonus tip: Download the TripAdvisor Florence City app – you’re welcome.
Have a wonderful time in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.