April has been absolutely jam-packed and fantastic. I spent most of it in Malta, and a long weekend in Alghero (Sardinia), so I’ve also had my fair share of sun, sea and fun this month. Work has been manic, though, which is good/bad, since I’ve often had to cancel all plans to buckle down and get things done, but I’m so proud of how my business is doing and how hardworking my clients are.
- Crooked House (Agatha Christie) – Agatha has done it again (hah). I absorbed this book in a few hours – mostly while on a plane/car-ride to Luxembourg this week. Such a satisfying little mystery.
- Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Extreme Plump lip gloss – this tingles like there’s no tomorrow, and looks gorgeous on my lips, so A++++ from me. (It was a very kind and excellent birthday present from my bestie, Anna.)
- Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Exfoliating Lip Salvation – another wonderful birthday present from Anna. (Basically, just give me lip products as presents and I will be 100% happy.) This is a smoothing (giant) tub of lip balm which smells and feels amazing.
- Springfield dress (currently half-price on their website!!) – I bought this while on a stay in Gozo, and love how it fits me. The sleeves are also great for windy Spring evenings (and Luxembourg in general).
- Clinique chubby stick – the wonderful Valentina gave me my first Clinique chubby stick for my birthday, and it was supposed to be a pictured favourite but I think I’ve left it in Malta! I wore it so much while in Malta, and it was perfect at a Spring wedding. I get the awesome hype around this product.
- Being featured in an article in a Luxembourgish newspaper(!!)
- Work – it’s been a little overwhelming to be a full-time proofreader this month (FULL-full-time), since it’s totally deadline season right now, but I’m always grateful for being able to do this job so happily and so well (at least, my clients are always so happy – that’s the best part). And I get to read about some of the latest research in such a variety of fields, first-hand, so that’s just the best perk.
- Gozo – best Gozo trip, ever
- Wine – so much wine. Especially at Tal-Massar.
- Palazzo Parisio – the perfect afternoon spot to celebrate a special occasion
- My cousins’ perfect little new baby
- Gellish nails – I tried them last month while in Malta, and they are AMAZING. I literally went to a field and picked potatoes, and they were still 100% intact for weeks.
- Alghero, Sardinia – I really hope to find time to put up a little post about our early-April weekend on this gorgeous island. It was such a surprisingly beautiful place, and we had some of the best food ever here too. (And you know I’m aaaaall about the food.)
Hope everyone has an excellent May! Deadline season is still very much upon us, but at least things will start to slow down a little, and I can’t wait for our beautiful German friend to visit us for a few days tomorrow.
April. It’s been mostly disastrous but took a turn for the better at the end. My thesis progress was more stagnation than progress, but now things have picked up again. I’ve long been terrified about May 2014, but now that it’s almost here I’m not too worried. I’ve either become complacent or else I’m just numb to the deep-set fear. BUT, Spring is definitely here, and the sun and warmer weather are helping me calm down. And Summer is only a couple of months away – isn’t that amazing?
Favourites! (Quite a few since I spent most of the month TOTALLY not working on my thesis and reading/frolicking instead.)
- NUXE Rêve de Miel Ultra-Nourishing lip balm – so thick, so nourishing, such a lovely scent. A very heavy lip balm that’s perfect after you give your lips a good scrub.
- Estée Lauder lip gloss in Nude Rose – my beautiful friend Jenny gave this to me for my birthday last month, and it’s so.nice. It makes my lips look dressed up and plump and shiny, in a good way. So luscious. Plus – you might be hearing more about/from Jenny very soon… *mystery*
- New phone! – After cracking my Samsung Galaxy SII’s screen in March, I got a Nexus 5, and it is WONDROUS. Such a great phone, and larger than ever.
- Acase Phone cover – to go with my snazzy new phone, I bought a super-recommended phone cover, which is actually two covers in one. I got it off of Ebay for about 19 euros including shipping, and it’s a beautiful purple case that’s perfectly protecting my phone.
- Coconut oil – I’ve been meaning to buy a jar of coconut oil for ages, and I finally got one a couple of weeks ago. It smells DIVINE and I’ve used it as a hair mask and it’s really lovely. (As a hair mask: just plonk it in your hair for 30 minutes or more, and then rinse it out. SOFTNESS.)
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt – I read so many books this month, and this was by far the most massive, clocking in at 771 pages. It was a beautifully-crafted novel – I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The last third of the book wasn’t… my favourite, but I still loved it overall. Especially since it was a beautiful edition + a birthday present from my boyfriend.
- 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad – Another book I read this month. It’s a bit of a horror story, which isn’t usually what I go for, but this was really good. Chilling, scary, and just a good story to get into. I can’t really look at the moon any more without shivering, but oh well.
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell – THIS BOOK. I get the hype. I get it. I loved this book. LOVED IT. I *****WISH***** it existed when I was 15. I would have adored it. I adored it now, but it is just PERFECT for teenagers, I feel. So heartwarming and beautiful. Totally recommended Young Adult fiction, yes.
- A Little Opulent – this online magazine launched this month and it is ALL MY FAVOURITE THINGS IN ONE. I’m obsessed with their relaxed, beautiful posts. Although there doesn’t seem to be too much of a hype around it – WHY THE HELL NOT? It’s AMAZING. READ EVERYTHING ON THERE.
- Kulħadd Ħalla Isem Warajh by the lovely-lovely-lovely Clare Azzopardi – Oh my. This book. I read (DEVOURED) it last weekend and adored it. If you can read Maltese, READ THIS BOOK. So good. I haven’t read a huge tonne of books in Maltese, but I’ve read all of Stagno’s stuff and a bit of Immanuel Mifsud and others… but THIS BOOK. It might be my top favourite Maltese book ever.
- Figolli – delicious Maltese Easter goodies. Yum.
- Milka & Oreo – I was supposed to include this in my pictured favourites above, but I ate all the bars I had… oops. This is something else. The Cadbury Oreo version verges on 100% bland next to this. If you love/like me, buy me a Milka & Oreo bar. Thanks.
- Recovering from a dearth of thesis-related productivity – thank God.
- Looking forward to more Guest TILTs next month!
- Buying fresh smoothies
- Celebrating my best friend Annie’s birthday
- A really great evening out
- The sweetest German friends who visited us in Malta for a week in the beginning of the month
- Running again(!)
- Compiling more medleys
- Wondering where I’m going to be “at” when I’m compiling next month’s Favourites… (If I actually end up having time to compile a Favourites post at all! That’s what had happened last year…)
Have a great May.