I love watching a good film. Nothing better than getting sucked into a story for a couple of hours – which is something you can do on most regular evenings, as opposed to a series, which requires a lengthier period of commitment. I watched over 100 films in 2017, and I can’t wait to see more good (and delightfully bad) ones in 2018. (Only a few days to go before they announce the Academy Award nominees!)
Firstly, let me just mention the worst film I watched, which was Extraordinary: The Stan Romanek Story. Oh boy, it was bad. In every way. It was also a little hilarious at times, so it still wasn’t a complete waste of time.
And here are the top 10 films I watched in 2017, in no particular order:
- Hidden Figures – so heartwarming and empowering.
- Moana – finally watched this and LOVED it. Excellent protagonist. Also excellent chicken and pig characters.
- A Man Called Ove – an utterly brilliant Swedish film. Highly recommended to everyone.
- Hounds of Love – quite a masterpiece of an Australian psychological thriller, which kept me at the edge of my seat.
- Lion – so many tears.
- Dunkirk – an impressive film with some great scenes (and PLANES).
- The Young Offenders – HILARIOUS Irish film. Watch it.
- Gaga: Five Foot Two – didn’t think I’d like it, ended up loving it.
- Sing Street – such a lovely film, with songs!
- La La Land – I didn’t love this as much as some others did, but there were some sweet moments.
Any other great film suggestions?